What's the science behind this holographic display?

I really like the idea of this, and interested in the science behind it. So if it’s appropriate to ask, What do I need to learn if I want to understand how this works? Or can I even try to make a DIY holographic display like looking glass by myself after some learning and researching?

don’t know if I am at the right place to ask this question🤔

Hi! Thanks for being interested! The Looking Glass is based off of a couple key concepts, in particular light fields and lenticulars. There’s plenty of stuff out there that is helpful in covering this, including our own documentation site!

1 Like

You can figure it out, at least I did. It took a lot of pondering and “a ha” moments. In the end, I was able to write a stand-alone (no SDK) program that made a depth image on the display. It’s nothing fancy, and my implementation is not realtime, so it was really just to prove I understood how it worked. Like alxdncn said, it’s all based on lenticulars. The Looking Glass team did a great job on turning a concept into a product. I took a leap of faith jumping into the kickstarter, but now I wish I’d bought the 16" one instead of the 8" I have.

2 Likes