Simulation Sickness

Hi, has anyone tested these displays to see if people with simulation sickness will still experience the same problems with FPS type games?

It would be a welcome solution to people with motion/simulation sickness to have an alternative display. How compatible is this display with regular commercial games?

(Anecdotal, based on my experience with selective simulation sickness and talking to people who know more about VR.)
Virtual experiences which are grounded in reality and confined to a display (such as Looking Glass and zSpace) are generally much better for most people with simulation sickness. Make sure the display is not too bright compared with the surroundings and the user doesn’t have to be closer than 3ish feet, and it should be no problem unless the user is focusing really hard on it for a long period of time.

Unfortunately, I don’t think existing apps are compatible with can be retrofitted to Looking Glass. I think this could change as apps adopt the upcoming OpenXR spec though, if Looking Glass Factory adds support (and they ought to!)

Ahh, that’s a shame. I have problems playing any kind of FPS game because looking at it for any amount of time starts making me sick to my stomach. It gets worse the longer I stare at the screen. VR is even worse as it makes me break out in sweat and nausea. I was hoping all this research into light field displays would someday solve my problem.

Ah, yeah. Unfortunately I doubt it would be any better than a regular flat panel for simulation sickness in FPSes. (I very rarely play FPSes these days for the same reason.)

Unfortunately in first person games on flat panels, I know of 2 causes of simulation sickness: Unrealistic projection of the virtual world into your eyes, and, more significantly, the fact that the virtual camera moves when your head does not.

“Perfect” non-light-field VR eliminates the first problem in one way (X-Y) but significantly exacerbates it in Z (it still has no accommodation, causing the vergence–accommodation conflict) in a way that can only be solved with much better light field displays that we have today. It also eliminates the second, but only for games which do not have movement controls that apply extra acceleration to the virtual camera. (Steam VR Home, for example, never slides the camera - it only allows teleportation, significantly reducing simulation sickness.)

The Looking Glass slightly alleviates the first problem (only in X, not Y or Z/accommodation), but it can do nothing about the second problem because the screen itself doesn’t move according to your view.