Misc interface issues, small but annoying

Windows user here.

All apps including Library always launch with the Configuration popup, can we skip this after the first time?

Is “Windowed” a meaningful setting for apps? For Library it has no effect.

Can Active Screen default be that Looking Glass gets button input? I can’t think why I’d want it not to. Also can it stop popping up constantly after I’ve made that choice?

3D Print App drag-and-drop doesn’t work for me in Firefox. Browsing to the file does work. I have Chrome installed and would be happy to use it for this but I don’t see a setting to tell the app that.

Hello! I’m Nolan, developer on the Library. Thank you for your feedback!

All apps launch with the Configuration popup so you that you can specify which numbered display it should launch on. At present, there is no way to skip this step.

In general, the apps will override Windowed because they need to be fullscreen on the Looking Glass. We will support a windowed Library on PC in an upcoming release.

“gets button input” refers to whichever program (Library or the launched App) is currently in focus, and it may change during your session playing with an App (like if a system level notification shifts focus back to the main display). The images will inform you of the switch and let you get back to using the App if you find yourself in a situation where it’s not accepting input.

I’ve passed along your experience with the 3D Print App to the developers so they can look into a solution.

Thanks again!
~Nolan

Hi, I’m Kelly, one of the developers of the 3D Print App.
We cannot seem to reproduce the problem of drag-and-drop not working in Firefox.

If you can kindly provide the info below, it would help us debug, thanks!
What version of Firefox are you using? Also, are there any errors in your web console? Can you send a screenshot of that?

Thanks for getting back!

All apps launch with the Configuration popup so you that you can specify which numbered display it should launch on. At present, there is no way to skip this step.

Yet I can dream – it’s not like I swap my displays around every minute.

In general, the apps will override Windowed because they need to be fullscreen on the Looking Glass. We will support a windowed Library on PC in an upcoming release.

Understood about the apps, I understand and expect that they be fullscreen on the box. Excellent that the Library will soon be windowed – I want to use the LG as a viewer in parallel with CAD software, so having it stomp my entire main monitor is sad.

gets button input” refers to whichever program (Library or the launched App) is currently in focus, and it may change during your session playing with an App (like if a system level notification shifts focus back to the main display). The images will inform you of the switch and let you get back to using the App if you find yourself in a situation where it’s not accepting input.

Um ok, so it’s both an indicator and a control? It seems awfully big for what it does.

Honestly I still don’t really understand the purpose. If this is just for buttons on the LG, I feel like I always want those going to the current LG app if one is running, or dropped if none is. If having them direct to a different app, whether it’s the Library or something else, is a developer thing, could we get a little end-user love here? Too soon?

Thanks again, I look forward to seeing what happens next.

Bathsheba

Hi, sorry, I went on vacation and now I’m away from my glass. I’ll check the console when I get back. Firefox Quantum 64.0.

Thanks for working on the app! I’ll probably use it a bunch since that is what I do.

Best regards,
Bathsheba

Sorry for any confusing interface issues! We don’t like them either, but we don’t have a lot of control over the way operating systems lay out our windows. We’re looking into ways to make it more consistent and seamless for users in the future, and I really appreciate your feedback to help make this happen!

Specifically for “gets button input”: because the Looking Glass doesn’t have an onboard processor to handle the button input, they’re being routed through your computer. This means that if a user clicks away from the launched app, it seems like the buttons don’t work (when in reality the app has just entered the background and isn’t receiving any input from anything). In our testing, we saw happen often enough that we decided to add that sidebar. We’ll continue to iterate so that the UI works for all our users, not just the ones who may be lost.

Thanks again!
~Nolan