MacBook Pro setup

Hi! I have the latest MacBook Pro 2018. core i9 variant. All thunderbolt 3 ports.
I have just received my std sized Looking glass (hurray!).
I need some guidance in troubleshooting though.
I have connected the device in the following way.
For power:
Supplied cable and an usb-b -> usb-c adapter.
HDMI:
Supplied hdmi cable plus an apple usb-c -> hdmi 1.4 adapter.

So what happens?

1. The LG lights up.
  2. An external display is detected. It isn’t called “looking glass”, but LG… and a lot of numbers/characters.
    I have tried setting the resolution both manually and using the “best optimised for”. (the resulting resolutions are the same, checked).
    I mirrored the display (not extended).
    I can’t see anything in the LG display.
    When connecting/deconnecting the LG hdmi I can se both my Mac display and the LG display flicker, but nothing more.

I have searched the forums, but only find issues where the display isn’t detected at all.
What is my next move?

best regards emil a.k.a sniff

Reply to self. It seem the hdmi adapter is the faulting component. I update here as soon I get hold of an adapter with better specs!

Yep. 4k at 60Hz required.
I went with this one: https://www.kjell.com/se/sortiment/dator-natverk/kablar-adaptrar/usb/usb-adaptrar/adapter-usb-c-till-hdmi-p97733
(Swedish store)
Now it is working!
Sorry for the buzz, but perhaps it will help someone!

1 Like

Hi @sniff, thanks for posting the solution to your problem! The adapter can indeed cause issues, so this is an important thing to be brought to the communities attention. Let us know if you have any other issues!

1 Like

Hi,
I currently own an under powered HP Envy laptop, which does work with my standard Looking Glass display, albeit with usually slow frame rates.
I am now however wanting to buy one of the latest 15 inch MacBook Pro variants. Can anyone tell me if the LG display works at a usable frame rate with the latest MacBook Pro and if it does what specifications should I go for. Do I need to get the highest specs for Ram, GPU, SSD storage etc., or will the LG work well with some of the less expensive options?
I don’t want to go ahead and purchase the most expensive MacBook Pro if a less expensive variant works well.
In a nutshell, can anyone tell me how well the LG works with the various MacBook Pro variants?
Many thanks,
Michael

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016) and it is not fast enough for even the small Looking Glass. Instead I use a Windows laptop with GTX GPU.

You say that your MacBook Pro, is not fast enough for the Looking Glass display, however it is now 3 years old. Is it the 2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz, with 4MB shared L3 cache variant, or have you got it configured to 2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz? It also only has an Intel Iris Graphics 540 GPU.
Whichever it is, the 2018 MacBook Pro can be configured to a 2.4GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz . It also can be configured to have 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory with a Radeon Pro Vega 20 GPUwith 4GB of HBM2 memory.
My question is about the latest MacBook Pro and whether it will it still only run slowly with some of the higher powered 2018 variants. Or can the LG display still run effectively with some of the less expensive options

For us, it’s mostly about GPU power, so the MacBook Pro could work. I don’t know a ton about the Radeon Pro Vega 20, but I did a bit of research and found this, which claims it’s somewhat slower than a GTX 1060. The GTX 1060 is what we benchmark against and recommend, so your frame rate might still be a bit low on a new MacBook Pro.

Also, please keep in mind that some of our core tools are currently Windows only. That shouldn’t be an issue if you’re intending to develop your own apps, but is something to consider!