Jagged edges everywhere

Just received my Looking Glass two days ago, but all I get are jagged edges everywhere and no clear images at all. I even bought a new 60fps USB-C to HDMI cable today, but keep getting the same jagged-edged images all the time.

I have a MacBook Pro 15’’ (Late 2018 model), with a 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7 processor and a Radeon Pro 555X 4 GB videocard with Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB, running macOS Mojave version 10.14.6.

I already tried it in Mirrored and in Extended mode. Same results.

Any idea what else I can do to get the crisp looking images I tend to see on the YouTube videos and such?

Here are two photos to show the current status:

Hi @AnneCHPostma, those jagged edges are part of a lenticular-based display like the Looking Glass, they aren’t an issue with your particular setup. Looking at 2D images on the screen will always show that visual artifact. Unfortunately sometimes UI will show this as well, however we have a solution we will be releasing shortly that drastically reduces the issue. It is made around Unity, but it could be used as a generic solution to UI.

Does the 3D content itself look good on your display? I want to make sure I’m not missing anything in terms of visual quality.

I’ve just found this thread and would like to add my 2 cents since the original poster did not reply anymore.

I see the same thing on my LG as AnneCHPostma. Not only in UI but in 3D models as well. I assume it’s just the way it is, but If there’s any issue with my connection please tell me so. If not and it is indeed the way it is then if you can do anything to improve the visual quality, it would be awesome.

Here’s a photo I took with my phone of the 3D content on my computer screen

And here’s the same on my LG. I couldn’t put both images into a single post because the forums wouldn’t let me.

Hi David, that looks much worse than it should when rendering a 3D model. Always hard to tell from a screenshot, but that’s my impression. I have a couple questions for you.

1. Is this only an issue with the Model Importer app? Like, does Squishy Squad or Froggo look OK? And our example scene? Could you send me a screenshot of the example scene in the Looking Glass please?
  2. What are the quality settings set to? Is Resolution set to High?

Hi Alex,

Attached are the photos. I also included a photo of a standard Win 10 wallpaper. The jagged edges are visible in the window graphic. Maybe you have it the same? I also took the photo of the “HoloPlay SDK” text, same as AnneCHPostma did.

Overall the quality seems the same to me in all of the apps. No matter if it’s frogger or blobber :slight_smile: Actually, the photos I post here are looking worse than the real thing, probably because when my head is moving the artefacts are not as obvious as if you stare at a photo. Also on the photos there is a “moire” pattern visible which is not there in real life. So yea, overall it’s a bit better than those photos.

Honestly, the resolution is a bit of a let-down currently. A 4K display would be much better. But hey, what you’re doing there is short of a miracle so I’m not complaining :slight_smile:

Oh and yea, I’m runnning all of the apps at the recommended 2560 x 1600px and Ultra quality.

Looks quite similar to mine. It’s how it works. Those 2560x1600 pixels get sprayed across 45+ views, so the “effective” resolution is more like 350-ish x 250-ish. It’s a little analog so hard to put number on.

Yeah that looks closer to what I would expect, I’m worried there’s a bug on the Model Viewer though because that image in particular looks… off to me. Hard to tell from a single image though!

As for resolution, the display certainly has a much lower resolution than a regular screen. What the “effective” resolution ends up being is debatable (I don’t have a clear way to calculate that), but a lot can be done with the content to make things really pop. For those of you who are wondering what I mean by that, I’d encourage you to run the Lightfield Photo App and take a look at this quilt. You can access the raw images here if you want to mess with the framing. Some people feel the content (a man’s face) is a little creepy, but the artist (Jay Howse) is amazing and it looks awesome on the Looking Glass.

I’ve been very busy lately and did not have time to respond earlier. Today I found some time again and this time I attached the Looking Glass to my Mac Pro, but I get the same results. I have a few examples …

Here’s how just an empty screen looks like:

And here’s another example, where the text is very hard to read:

Hi AnnaCHPostma, as I mentioned above, it is normal for 2D elements to have rough edges in the Looking Glass. If, however, 3D elements look blurry, that may be an issue.