Introduce yourselves, dear Hologram Hackers :-)

Hi everyone!

I’m a technical artist at a game studio in Seattle, WA USA! It’s been very exciting to see the glasses-free 3D tech evolve over the last 10 years or so! I received my LookingGlass this week and am looking forward to digging in!

-Wesley

4 Likes

Hi,

i am Richard, originally Dutch, now living most of the time in Germany, around Berlin

i love to use the looking.glass to create some magic related to the acts we do at different kind of festivals.

open for co-creating projects with others from around the world :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Chris, science researcher working in nanotechnology in France. So not a coder, an interested potential end-user sniffing around and curious to see what we could do with the looking glass to visualise molecular structures. Loving what I’m seeing so far!
To save us reinventing the wheel with some of our software tools, would be useful if we could port java to the glass (e.g. ‘jMol’) - any hints and suggestions much appreciated.

3 Likes

Hi.
I am an artist doing mostly VR in CAVEs. https://www.evl.uic.edu/dan
I mostly do interactive abstract work programmed in C C++ using CalVR as my interface. http://ivl.calit2.net/wiki/index.php/CalVR
I am interested in displaying this work on the looking glass display.

2 Likes

Hi there! I’m Patrick, also know as TheDuckCow (website, youtube). I’m an active Blender 3D developer, and also do a lot of work with 3D animations and other visual effects. Looking forward to bringing some of those creations into more interactive life as I use my Hologram to also force myself to learn Unity!

I’m also very much so looking forward to an eventual native support for Blender 3D :slight_smile: Based in NYC too if there are other Hologram hackers here, and thanks to the Looking Glass Factory for making this great product and having open socials in the area!

Patrick

2 Likes

Hi !
I’m Thomas from France.
I’m not sure to be an artist but I do creative-coding for almost 15 years. I like to create interactive experiences based on sound / video . I work mainly with javascript/webGL/GLSL and sometimes with Processing. I really like to experiments new thing and I’m very impatient to receive my device.

I read the code from holoplay.js few hours ago and I was very happy to see that it’s possible to have a total control of the frame you send to the device ; then it’s possible to “hack it” and imagine new usages (instead of updating the distance of the camera between two view, it’s possible to update a shader and play with transparency for example ; or to update a shader while you update the distance, that kind of thing ), I’m very impatient to try !

2 Likes

Hey everyone!

I’m Koichi.
Twitter @koichi3

I’m a Japanese XR engineer and I run a small development company.
MuuMu (muumu.co.jp)

I’m very pleased to create a new experience using LookingGlass.

I’m looking forward to talking with everyone here and doing interesting things.:grinning:

2 Likes

Hey folks. I’m Steve, but folks in the games industry I’ve worked with call me Dez. (Small world!)

I’ve been making games since 95. Have worked at a lot of neat places (Looking Glass Studios, Harmonix, Valve, Oddworld, EA, Zynga, now Amazon). I spend all my time talking, managing and writing docs the last few years, and mostly do hands on stuff at home when I can to stay fresh!

I’m working on my third little demo currently. Two of which should be out in the Library within a few weeks if I can wrap up some improvements and bugs soon! :slight_smile: Love this community, love the Looking Glass, and I expect BIG things from this tech in the future. I want wall sized displays with > 1000 projected images in museums, airports, malls, etc! Let’s make practical mixed reality for those who won’t want or be able to afford the Apple AR glasses when they come out!

2 Likes

Indeed! Your name is Dez AND you worked at Looking Glass hahahaha :joy:

You’ve been doing this a long time too, I’m surprised we have never met!
Welcome!

Did you work on Thief? That’s some serious OG street cred!

1 Like

I was on the Flight sim side (Flight Unlimited), but I was the voice of the guard in Thief for years before they took him out, lol. I was bummed. One of my best friends and mentor was the lead programmer on Thief and effectively invented spatial sensory-based AI models for stealth games. Was fun to be around that team and watch it’s evolution! At one point a writer / designer named Ken, who went on to form Irrational Games, was pitching the game as ‘Better Red than Undead’, which had a super cool red-scare (from the 50s) twist. So many stories from that place! Anyway, very nice meeting you. Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Hello.

I am a video games developer & arcade games fan.

I became recently interested in light fields, and discovered the Looking Glass, and so I came here to know more about how it can be used for video games.

1 Like

Hi i am retired and a 3d enthusiast who likes to create depth mapped videos for experimentation keen to see how this helps to create looking glass video content for my self and community for non profit.

2 Likes

Hi,
I work mainly as a front-end enginner in Japan, using JavaScript(three.js, aframe, vue, etc.) for VR applications in my works.
My interests are AR/VR, 3DCG techs and have some gadgets as HMDs, HoloLens.
I’m glad to get to talk about brilliant LookingGlass in here!

I’m trying to work LookingGlass well on a Jetson Nano(just $99!), and partially well done using holoplay.js.
But a 3D rendering of Jetson Nano is poor compared to desktop PCs.
I’ll try to get techs for more performance with LookingGlass.

3 Likes

Hello!
My name is Drew Medina, I’m a professional game developer located in the SF Bay area, CA. Warning, I’m a bad writer :wink:
I’ve been in game dev for 21 years as an artist, working on games such as Enter the Matrix, Bully, MaxPayne3,GTA5, and currently on “The Avengers Project” at Crystal Dynamics (as a Sr. lighting artist).
I spent a few years doing VR work as an indie, then went back to AAA dev so I could feed my family :wink: I created iOmoon and Rollerforce for The Rift, Vive and Pico. So, I get sucked into anything stereoscopic 3D, which is why I’m here :slight_smile: VR is great, but I cant seem to wear anything on my head for long, headsets or glasses…Im also super deep into 3D printing, as a sculptor.
OMG the looking glass is so cool, just got my standard size last week and spent all week trying things on it. I Cant believe how good the 3D is, I was worried it would be pepper ghost like. Nope. Check out my first demo and impressions on my site below, look forward to sharing with you all and trying your stuff!!

My LookingGlass Demos and website

3 Likes

Hi
I’m Peter from Denmark -
I work as an exhibition designer - focussing on using the digital toolbox in the physical world -
I would love to implement the looking glass in exhibitions - starting on friday, when the holographic baby arrives at the office :slight_smile:

btw. anyone made a camera setup for the looking glass in 3ds max?

1 Like

Hello!
I’m Jacob, an undergraduate in Materials Science from the United States, and my research group is having me look into using the Looking Glass to see if it’s useful for displaying electron tomography.

I’m relatively new to the world of 3D imaging and coding, so any help or tips would be appreciated!

1 Like

Hello! I’m Dorian and I am here to build an application that uses the Looking Glass to display visual feedback about audio coming in through an ASIO audio interface. I’m a musician, sound designer, and sometimes coder (with some C++ experience). I don’t know Unity but going through tutorials now.

My question for anybody who would be willing to help… is the Unity SDK the right way to go about this? Is it possible to work with incoming audio stream(s) in Unity? Should I go with the C++ API instead?

I’m new and a little overwhelmed. Any helpful advice is appreciated!

Dorian

3 Likes

Our Unity SDK is definitely easier to use, better supported, and more stable than our C API, so we encourage people to make that their first stop! As for audio streaming, I’ve never done that work in Unity myself but I’d imagine you’d be able to track down some solutions online.

Welcome! Check out our docs site for sure, and if you have additional questions you can always post on the forums or email us at developer@lookingglassfactory.com.

Sup everyone! I am the DoP of Realities.io, focusing on high quality Photogrammetry for VR/AR use

Just got the LKG, and STOKED to be using it for volumetric filmmaking like this

3 Likes