Introduce yourselves, dear Hologram Hackers :-)

dang @Greg_Downing that’s all cool. I’d love to connect over in LA, I’m over in Los Feliz. Best contact?

Go Holograms!!

Hi Aaron, Sure you can hit me at greg@xrez.com . Also I will be at Unity LA meetup this evening if you want to meet there https://www.meetup.com/LAUnity3D/events/256369177 .

ObGreeting Hi, I’m Kelly. I’m mostly coming into this as a way of doing interactive displays and maybe some film work/storytelling. I do VR development on the side, so this is pretty much up my street. I’m hoping to get a rig together for shooting holographic video, but in the meantime I’m just beating my head against the SDK.

Hello I’m Thibault from France,

CEO of Holusion (www.holusion.com) manufacturing Pepper’s Ghost holographic displays in Northern France and creating content for them and other funny holographic stuffs,

Very excited about the technology !

Sometimes confuse french and english when writing, so in advance, please excuse my french,

Hi folks,
I’m Jeff from Philadelphia (U.S.); I’ve been working in 3D animation (mostly industrial/scientific) for a looong time. Saw the Looking Glass at SIGGRAPH this year, and was really impressed. Mine arrived today!
I also do art projects – I had a piece at MakerFaire NYC this year, but it only looked like a hologram ;>)

Hello!

Greetings from Canada! I’m Michael and I was first in contact with Shawn and the Looking Glass Factory when they released the Holoplayer One last year. I recently completed my Master’s Degree in Digital Media in Toronto, and focused my research on using the Looking Glass in education. I created an educational application that allows you to interact with the Looking Glass by using RFID tags, which were embedded in 3D printed artifacts (think of the “Skylanders” game). If you are curious about my work with the Looking Glass, check out this video: https://youtu.be/Bs10vCaPnLs. The Looking Glass Factory should also be posting an article about it soon, so stay tuned for that if you are curious about my process designing it.

Currently, I am working on trying to bring this concept into museums and hopefully introduce this technology in classrooms to increase student engagement. On the side, I love to design 3D Art pieces, which I bring to life as 3D holograms using the Looking Glass. I recently created social media accounts where I post a new art piece each week. If you’re a fan of everything from Star Wars to Pokemon, I’m sure you’ll appreciate the art I’ve been designing. If interested, find me on social me @ThatHologramGuy on both Twitter and Instagram!

TO THE FUTURE!

Hi, I design sculpture for 3D printing, my best seller is the Klein Bottle Opener. I hope to use the Looking Glass as a proofing tool: it’s just the size I work at, easier than firing up VR, and hey three dee!
I’m not sure if I want to get into Unity, virtual interactivity isn’t really my thing, but who can say? Certainly at some point I’ll need a viewer that supports more file formats, can’t always be converting everything to bloaty ol’ OBJ.
But still working on the Leap Motion setup for now though: baby steps!

Hello, Dithermaster here.

I just got my LG before the holidays, and played with all the demo apps. It is above and beyond what I thought it might be, both in terms of construction, but also image quality. I am very impressed!

I really wanted to know how it worked, so I played with MS Paint and thought about how it might work, and some amount of unmeasured hobby time later, I had a stand-alone (no SDK) C++ program that drew a stack of discs with depth!

Then I found this forum, and discovered that @lonetech had already figured it all out. Oh well, it was still super fun discovering the optics magic for myself.

In addition to multi-view hacking projects, because the LG looks so awesome, I want to encourge someone to get a stand-alone video/stills quilt player running on something small like a Raspberry Pi. It kind of seems like the slots on the back are just waiting for a clip-on module of some kind! Maybe I could help with an OpenSCAD model for a 3D printed enclosure?

Saying I figured it all out is an exaggeration. I had the existing program as reference, and I don’t think what we’ve written paints a complete picture yet. Currently we’re rendering views with rectilinear perspective for a bunch of horisontally displaced viewpoints - in effect, matching lens/sensor shift with horisontal projection angle, and camera horisontal displacement accordingly. That assumes that the lens array is vertical, and it never is (such displays would suffer from single colour plane views). It also assumes both that the viewer is at a finite distance (viewpoint placement) and infinite (projection ray convergence for a view). Chromatic aberration may also throw off the projection angles, but I suspect that effect is negligible due to lens thickness. I’ve long had the idea that an eye tracker - not a gaze tracker - would serve the display well, for a virtual window style behaviour (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw). A true 4D light field system doesn’t need that, but the Looking Glass is only 3D. So I figure a 3d printed holder for the Leap Motion to attach behind and above the Looking Glass would serve that function, eventually. I believe it’s possible to do efficient rendering by using shearing in the projection matrices that matches the lens angles.

Hello, by the way. I’m named Yann Vernier and I get fascinated by this sort of thing. Sometimes I happen to find the energy to do something but it comes in small bursts; don’t rely on me to finish things. Other things I’ve messed with include real time skeletal tracking using Leap Motion into Blender, starting an OSVR driver for the Nolo trackers, and once building a lego robot to play through a repetitive section of Final Fantasy VIII. My oldest digital stereoscopic device would be a nvidia TNT based shutter glasses setup, analog a viewmaster (long since lost, sadly), first digital HMD is SMD ST1080, and my oldest light field device is a first generation Lytro.

@lonetech, nice to meet you! I also did some ViewMaster disc creation - fun coincidence!

Where’s that?

Your surname “Vernier” reminds me of the Vernier scale on calipers which reminds me of the Looking Glass lenticular shift and how the horizontal pixel pitch “beats” against the lenticular pitch to form so many views. Cool!

Hi! I am Li-Kuo from Taiwan.

I was an animator in auto-stereoscopic 3D for 7 years. I left this job for 1 year. Because of the looking glass, I decided to come back. I have to say the 9-View as3d dispaly was not good enough for business.
I am going to startup a studio in light field contents provider in 2019.

I am happy to knew everyone in here!

You refer to Pierre Vernier’s caliper adaptation of the Nonius scale, a type of phase measurement. The reference programs were simply the same Unity-based demos Looking Glass made public.

Hi,

i’m Tom and I live in California, though i’m originally English. I work for a well-known animated movie studio and am interested in exploring possible uses for the Looking Glass display in our asset creation workflows. I think it has great potential!

TomN

Hi, I’m Rabbit, based in Wellington NZ - so shouts out to any other kiwi locals who want to contact me to discuss/play with this gizmo. I’m the lead dev at a ‘visitor experiences’ company, so oft digital story telling. I’m primarily a macos developer.

My looking glass arrived last week (customs and import duty - meh) and we can already see how we could have used it so many times in the past. So I’m looking forward to doing some great stuff with it in the future.

cheers!

Hi,
I am GilesGoat from Llamasoft LTD the company founded by Jeff Minter active since 1981, still alive and going, I joined Jeff in 2003 and been coding videogame stuff since.

Our most recent published games been Tempest 4000 ( for ATARI ), Polybius ( VR ) for PC/PS4 and Minotaur Arcade Volume 1 ( VR ) for PC Steam.

All done with our in-house developed engine “Neon” which is now well over 10 years we been working on, when we saw Looking Glass it’s like WOW, I WANT IT ! :slight_smile:

Hoping to be able to integrate it / do some really cool stuff with it I am basically trying to write from 0 a “module” for our engine for it and see what we can make of it.

Little “problem” so far we mostly worked with Directx 10/11 I’ll have to re-wire my brain into the world of OpenGL/ES, I’ve done stuff but it’s been quite a while since.

For the rest … well … “I live in a room semi permanently attached to Visual Studio” and I love to bits my new 40 inches Philips 4K monitor and my - little - cups of Lavazza often coding listening to Psychedelik.com :smiley:

Ah yes of course “I live with C/C++/ASM” and I am “deep into retrocomputing” so I am the kind of person that would drive the Looking Glass with a Z80 just to show “it can be done” :wink:

We have a few ideas what we’d like to do with Looking Glass…

@GilesGoat
Welcome! :slight_smile:
Sounds like you should start a new thread, if you haven’t already. I do have some ideas for how you can do it that wouldn’t destroy your life for the next several years. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Greetings!
My name is Øyvind, and I’m an electrician who does some 3D-modeling and printing in my spare time.
I have some programming experience with arduino, but this Unity stuff is completely new territory for me. (exciting!)
My favorite hobby is to start a project and spend countless days [read: months] working on it, and then leaving it in a drawer unfinished :see_no_evil:

-Øyvind

Super newbie question then :slight_smile:

How can I change my ( avatar ?) ( user ? ) pic in this forum :slight_smile: ?