HoloClock - From Bits to Holograms to Parts!

Here is my first Looking Glass hologram! Tic toc, it’s a clock. Well, part of one anyway.

While I’m not new to 3D modeling (CAD/CAM is in my wheelhouse), I am new to Unity, but slowly getting the hang of things. In an effort to learn, I figured why not work with something I’m currently building (albeit slowly) as motivation. The fun part is that I get to see it work before it’s actually built.

Full disclose, I did not design the clock, I’m just printing/assembling it, and hacking on it in Unity as a learning example. The original design is over on Thingiverse.

Here are the printed parts that I animated.

Needless to say, I’m having a blast with my Looking Glass!!!

WOW this is incredible!!!

It looks fantastic! Now I want a real clock that tells time too!

A fully functional holo clock will be proportional to my ambition. :wink:

Cool! If you’re running an Octoprint instance with an FDM printer, check out the 3D Print App in the library to print directly with a Looking Glass preview!

Here are some more pics of progress. The gear train for seconds, minutes and hours is all done and it now tells time! The plan is to automatically sync it with the system clock.

I think I could also have some fun with different shaders to liven up the appearance, but that’s an area I’ve only recently started poking around in. Finally, I want to tie in the LG buttons and use them to turn different layers on and off plus rotate the entire thing around an axis or two.

I should also be ready to share the app soon so that everyone can play around and enjoy it.

!