The future of computing is holograms

You all have a visual communications problem pardon the pun. My first reaction watching a video demonstrating on this product and looking through the visualizations on your website was, what’s the big deal, the guy is using a touchscreen to interact with a 3d rendering. The over the shoulder shot you use to demonstrate people interacting with the object flattens things so that it appears the person is touching the glass. It took about 15-20 minutes before it dawned on me that people were manipulating the object above the glass. This is so obvious to people working in the holographic field but it’s not to your potential customers the general public. Most people won’t have time to dig deeper and will move on, chalking you up to another interesting but overhyped technology. You need a Camera view/visualization at 45 -90 degrees off axis that shows the object and the persons hands above the object. Wether this is real or generated is irrelevant as this is what the user experiences. Unfortunately it’s not what your website and marketing are conveying. Unfortunately this may limit the impact of that all your other hard work developing this device.

I agree 100% and we’re trying to solve this communication challenge. Our entire team has debated this point extensively over the past couple weeks and we all really appreciate the post.

Out of curiosity, what’s your first impression of this system?

It’s an AR version of the Holoplayer using the same SDK and most of the same hardware – but in this case, instead of re-imaging (floating) the 3D scenes above the glass, we push the same 32-view superstereoscopic 3D scenes behind the glass into a cube, the idea being that the 3D context of the cube can help solve the communication issue over 2D video.