MakerFaire NY 2017: a video and some photos

HOLO-FRIENDS!

HAPPY HOLO-WEEN!!!

We’ve been slowly working on a rollout of visuals from the events of September past. Here’s one from MakerFaire NY 2017 filmed by Stephan and Momo, produced and edited by Paul C! Ever wonder what human beans think of the system when they see it in person (when sometimes a normal 2D screen just doesn’t do the system justice)? Look no further.

I also took some snapshots. Here’s a short visual diary (w/ some scant annotations).

Day T-1 of MakerFaire NY. Why do we have such a big space? Don’t ask, don’t tell! Let’s make as much use of it as we can. We send Alex H & Alex D out to get some “decoration” and 2 hours later, they come back with bales of hay.

:fallen_leaf: Fall-O-Gram is BORN :fallen_leaf:

Scarecrow? Check.

Googly eyes? Check.

Stalks of corn? Check.

Letterboard? Check.

We’re lucky to live and breathe in close proximity of extremely talented artists and illustrators. Alex’s wife - Hannah - churned out this flagship Fall-O-Gram graphic in under an hour and was able to send it to a printer for expedited print. Fall-O-Gram was well underway and we couldn’t be happier. Saturday morning, the floodgates open.

PEOPLE! SO MANY PEOPLE!

We were excited to hear from a couple dozen folks who remembered our Volume set up from last year’s MakerFaire in the Viscuzi Dark Room. We’ve since moved on to HoloPlayer One but it’s always nice to hear from people who say things like, “Oh, I remember only seeing one other 3D hologram and it was last year in the dark room. It was a flower that you picked! Oh!! That was you guys? What!” I won’t go into full detail but those who know us, know that (1) we’re obsessed with invention but (2) we’re also pretty comfortable with moving on to newer technology when we feel deep inside our souls that one precedes the other.

After a full Saturday of schmoozing and standing, half of the Looking Glass team decide to take a break inside the Sandbox cubbies. It took about 15 minutes to find them. Here they are!

We have a cave? WE HAVE A CAVE.

Shawn and Alex set up something in the back - for now, called Super Pepper - and bring select folks to see the system in the cave. In short, this is a 3D Pepper’s Ghost system that allows for augmentation of real-world objects. In 3D. This is a higher-resolution system that is meant for different things than the HoloPlayer One. Just so I don’t confuse y’all, I will speak of this no more. Inquire within if this piques your interest.

MORE PEOPLE.

THANK YOU TO MAKERFAIRE AND THE NEW YORK HALL OF SCIENCE FOR HAVING US. IT WAS TRULY A BLAST (AS ALWAYS).

THANK YOU FOR VOTING US BEST IN CLASS & EDITOR’S CHOICE!

Until the next fair…

HoloPlayer One launches soon (i.e. late November-ish soon). If you want updates on when this is, and get some $ off when it does, sign up for launch on our website here.

I’m posting this video link here again, just in case you missed it in the visual blur.

Thank you all for reading!

MORE TO COME!