Lenticular shatter in background. First fishes

First Fishes

Goal is to have them swim realistically, nibble still fingers, avoid moving fingers.

Just learning how to rig and animate, got as far as wiggling the back fins.

Center field fish looks great! Background (same model), not so much. Kinda fuzzy. Foreground (the little CrusCarp) is also a blur.

The fishes are just off the shelf free models.

Is the breaking up of the lenticular in background and foreground normal? Is there a calibration step I need to do?

Sorry I can not make it to the first learn-in, maybe Henry will be there.

• HoloPlay version [ver #]
  • [Does not use] Realsense
  • [Does not use] sound

ExeAndData.tar.gz (windows)

FishDroid.zip (source code)

Hi! First of all, cool fishes! I’m all about them fishes. I ported the Fish Tank game that you can see here to the HoloPlayer One, and have made other fish-related games.

As for the blurring you’re seeing, that is normal, and not a problem with your calibration. From how the HoloPlayer works, having things far forward or far back results in this visual result (though we’re always working to improve things like this!). I would recommend tightening the near and far clipping planes on your HoloPlay Capture object in Unity, making the fishes smaller, and bringing them closer to the center focal plane of your scene.

Hope that helps!

Awesome fish! Can’t wait to see them moving around and nibbling fingers!

Totally agree w/ @alxdncn. The real meatspace depth in which sharpness of the scene is reasonable is around 4"-6" or so (it’s kind of subjective, hence the range – someone at Siggraph called it a “floating hologram burrito” of working volume)-- if the system is pushed with any more depthy content than that, the fringes of the scene (front and rear) will get blurry.

That all said, two quick checks to make sure your HoloPlayer One is running at peak performance:

1. Does the test scene look like this, with the white cube relatively crisp as it goes behind the large cylinder?

1. Is your holplayer flipped into the higher sharpness mode (by pushing up the retroreflector until it grabs internal magnet clips)? This will boost the sharpness of the retroreflected aerial image:

Thanks. Me too.

Test scene looks ok,I think. Though the color code letters and text on the ‘per view’ cube are essentially impossible to read.

I have tried the image sharpness flipped both positions, it seems to have no effect on anything.

Late for me just now, no photos, but how rugged is the retroreflector surface, and the lenticular surface? The retro-reflector seems a bit warbly and bumpy, and prone to dust. I am keeping it covered (maybe will rig a sort of tea cozy for it), but will want to blow some dust-off over it all soon.

Very nice to have listened in on your meet-up via facebook live. Tnx all.

Yup, the test letters in the cylinder will be hard to read since they are pushing pretty far out of the main image plane, so if the test scene looks like the photo I posted, you’re good to go!

The retroreflector surface isn’t super delicate (i.e., you can touch it without damaging it), but it shouldn’t be cleaned with anything other than a microfiber cloth since scratches from rougher cleaning cloths/paper towels can be distracting when viewing the aerialized image. The warbles are normal and shouldn’t affect the floating image quality. Also dust shouldn’t affect the image quality, but may be bothersome - agree that the housing and beam splitter have a way of pulling in the dust. We’ve made some closed-housing holoplayers for installations, but they don’t fold up, so it was a compromise of portability vs. closed system. Happy to hear any thoughts on your dream improvements, which hopefully we can roll into a next gen system!

Great to have had you call into the meet-up!!! Looking forward to seeing your creations in the system!