Getting Holoflix out of your iPad, into Unity, and into HoloPlayer One

I saw a post on the Structure Sensor forum asking about how to pull HoloFlix (recorded on an iPad) into Unity. After you download the HoloFlix app to your iPad and record your first glorious Holoflix, a new video album should appear in your iPad’s Albums folder, like so (this screenshot shows a bunch of other folders I made for fooling around, but HoloFlix is the auto-generated album made by the HoloFlix app):

Inside that folder, your Holoflix lurk!

You can pull those Holoflix onto your Mac/PC as you normally would drag any photo or video kicking and screaming from your iPad into your Mac/PC (e.g., through AirDrop or over USB).

Then to get Holoflix into Unity, download the Holoflix Unity SDK that @dez made right here!

And then as a last step to get that Holoflix into the real world floating above your HoloPlayer One, use the just-released beta HoloPlay SDK @kyle and @dez made right here.

I know that may seem a little complex, but it’s a 10 minute process start-to-finish once you get the hang of it, no programming required. We’re working on making it even simpler, using the Holoplayer’s built-in Realsense SR300 camera.

*If more folks want to record Holoflix, get them into Unity, and then pull those volumetric videos into their various interfaces (HoloPlayer One, VR, AR), post your requests here and the Looking Glass team will put together a more comprehensive tutorial!

This is a pretty sick resource. Thanks!

By popular demand, here’s how you pull that Holoflix volumetric video into a HoloPlayer One (with the floating 3D video scene running at greater than 30fps on a decent computer!).

Note: this basic process for getting volumetric video content to float above your HoloPlayer One should work for any volumetric video that you can pull into Unity (from a full 360-rig, for instance), not only Holoflix 2.5D volumetric video.

IMG_5796

After you’ve gotten your Holoflix onto your computer and downloaded the Holoflix Unity SDK and HoloPlaySDK, double click on the Holoflix Unity SDK to pull it into Unity. This will be what you should see:

Zoom into the bottom left corner of the scene, and you should see a white textured rectangle like this:

That white rectangle is showing up because the Holoflix Unity SDK hasn’t quite caught up to the newest version of Unity, so we need to adjust the video import type to “MovieTexture(Legacy)”, circled in red in the screenshot above. Once you apply that change, it’ll take up to two minutes for the movie file to adjust to the new type and your computer may look frozen during the conversion process - fear not!

After the import type has changed, you should see the shark below in your Unity Scene view (that’s me in the shark costume, recorded by @nikki as several of us recreated this scene from Back to the Future 2. See if you can spot @dez as Marty at the end of the video!). If you don’t see that, click play once to make sure the new video type has loaded and then unclick it.

And this is roughly what you should see in the Game window:

Now to get your own Holoflix in there, instead of me in a shark costume! Drag in your Holoflix into Assets and convert to the MovieTexture(Legacy) as you did for the shark movie.

Now, to get your video into the scene! Click “Holoflix” in your Hierarchy, and then scroll down to holoflixMaterial (Instance) at the bottom of the Inspector window. Check the texture by clicking “Select” as shown in the red circle in the image below and select your freshly imported and converted volumetric video!

You may need to toggle on and off the Play button to load the new movie. Once you do, voila! Your own Holoflix in Unity!

Now, to apply the HoloPlaySDK and get that volumetric video floating in HoloPlayer One! Find where you downloaded the HoloPlaySDK and import it (by double click it or dragging into your Assets folder):

After import (which should take just a few seconds), drag the HoloPlay Capture into your Inspector window.

You may need to make sure your Holoflix and the HoloPlay Capture are both at (0,0,0) coordinates so that everything lines up. When you do so, you should see a green outlined trapezoidal prism of sorts appear around your Holoflix video in the Scene window. Anything in that trapezoidal volume will appear in your HoloPlayer One!

And this is what it should look like in your Game window, after you toggle ON “Render in editor”:

That is showing the garbled up scene that is made up of 32 camera shots taken at greater than 30fps of your scene with a post-process shader applied – and your HoloPlayer One’s optics will then ungarble that scene into a superstereoscopic floating volumetric video!

Like…so!

IMG_5793
(This was shot with the video paused, to attempt to show the depth. To see the Holoflix in motion floating in a holoplayer, brief video walkthrough here.)

I know that seems complex with a million screenshots, but I swear it’s fast once you get the hang of it once, and absolutely no coding is required. Once you get the hang of it, you can add interaction with the built-in Realsense SR300 (and the interaction portion of the HoloPlaySDK) or add in other 3D content around your volumetric video in Unity to make your project extra special/weird.

If you’ve any questions or issues with this process, let me know!

A couple sample builds of the video shown in this tutorial and the Unity project are here!

p.s. If you are working on a HoloPlayer One as a second 3D screen connected up to your computer, you should Toggle HoloPlay Previewer. More details in @alxdncn's [HoloPlaySDK tutorial](https://blog.lookingglassfactory.com/getting-started-with-the-holoplay-sdk-dc9aab12b50e).

And if you want to hide the variable sliders or move them around…first find them as shown in the image below, adjust their default values to whatever you find works best for your video, and then hide them:

YAS! This is an incredible tutorial. I can’t want to shoot some footage and experiment with this.

I ran across this archival footage - this is the beast we used to view our volumetric videos on a few years ago. The monster (which I dragged up and down the West Coast, being promptly laughed out of some large companies) was the size of a refrigerator and made a volumetric scene about the size of a dixie cup.

(jump to 0:55)

Progress is good.

had a shoot in the lab yesterday filming me making holographic music recorded w/ the holoflix n it looks cool. gonna edit it and drop in unity to see what that can look like.

I remember giving this system an internal code name the Onion Ring but somehow it became Orion Ring later on and that doesn’t even make sense…