Filming anything in HoloPlayer One - Your Friendly GIF Guide!

So awesome to see more people outside of the team posting stuff they’ve made/are making in their HoloPlayer Ones. I thought it was prime time to share this post with the world (I made a version of this ~two months ago for the team) in hopes of imparting some things I’ve learned about filming content in HoloPlayer One!

What you need:

• An iPhone / Android phone with a nice camera!
  • For Mac users, I would recommend GIF Rocket
  • For Non-Mac users, I would go with something like EZ GIF

You can also go the traditional route of making GIFs in After Effects / Photoshop but then that would take a little longer.

I have a Mac, here is my usual process:

(1) Take a short video clip on my phone or a boomerang (iPhone / Android)
(2) Airdrop / send this to my computer
(3) Decide which 2-3 second part of the clip I want to “GIF-ify”
(4) Set the parameters on GIF Rocket settings.
(5) Play around with the settings to reach an “optimal” GIF size (which I found is usually ~3MB or smaller. Anything larger will be difficult to import into the forum / Medium). Note: before you drag any videos in, make sure you have these settings in place, especially the Start and End time!

I usually prefer my GIFs in 640 px (double the standard size) with medium quality (there are only 3 quality preferences to select from). Obviously, sometimes you have to sacrifice width size/quality for a smaller file size - but this is something you’ll get the hang of after a while!

Don’t forget, every great GIF starts with a great video clip

When we first prototyped the HoloPlayer One and started sharing videos within the team, the challenges were real. Over time, I’ve gathered a few little tips and tricks I’ve learned over the past year -

1. Make sure to minimize the ceiling reflection of the surrounding environment in the display itself. You can usually do this by making sure the background BEHIND you is dark / black (i.e. try to stay away from white ceilings / tilt the display to an optimal angle. You can usually do this by hoisting the back up with a small book!)

2. Make sure the application / object on display does not cut off on the sides. If this is happening, you are probably holding the camera too high/low.

3. Film as much interaction as possible! The display is most magical when there is a hand interacting directly with something in the display

4. Make sure that the camera is focused properly. Sometime it helps to have a finger in the scene, focus on the finger and then take it away.

5. To best show off the “lenticular-ity” of the system, one of the tricks to try is to keep the object in one static place and do a quick sweep / pan, just like this:

6. This system does not need to be filmed in pitch-dark settings, as long as you take care to not let any ceiling/background reflections get in the way! Obviously, direct sunlight may not be we’ve finally made a system that does not hate light!!!

7. Last thing - we’ve gotten a few comments lately about the image being a Pepper’s Ghost and/or is not directly interactive and/or that the scene is directly on the glass. Of course, it is none of these things but this comes with the challenge of filming a 3D scene within the confines of 2D capture! It is best to try show off the entire device (hood included) when capturing anythign in HoloPlayer as this really helps to reinforce the whole device and give context to some of preconceived notions of what people think they’re seeing.

This is a short clip of something we really love sharing (@oliver’s HoloBrush) !
Hello GIF_2

Getting good footage of the system is still a work-in-progress. Feel free to share any tips/tricks you’ve been gathering on your own and share it with us too! We’re probably going to experiment soon with building our own multi-rig camera to do a sweeping capture. Will share results of this shortly!

Can’t wait to see all your GIFs!